When we buy new shoes, it immediately becomes our favorite and we use it like almost everyday. And we probably hate it if it deteriorates faster the longer we use it. It’s kind of sad when we have to let it go because we didn’t pay enough attention to maintain it.
Specially if you have different types of shoes like me. Shoes for casual, running and hiking. We have different set of shoes for different kinds of use. With all that number of shoes, it is expensive if we kept buying a new set if one of them is broken and we were unable to fix it.
Luckily for us, we have professionals who can do the repair for us, but it is also practical if we can repair it ourselves right?
Adhesives are one of the types of tools that we often use not just for repairing shoes, but to all of the stuff that are broken that needed to be bonded. But in this review, we are going to check the best glue for shoes in todays time.
Top 8 Best Glue for Repairing Shoes
1. Shoe Goo
Owned by Eclectic Products, this glue is probably one of the best and popular glue shoes in the market today. It’s made particularly to help bond parts of sneakers such as gym shoes, sports shoes, runners or tennis shoes. It’s a very tough adhesive and will keep different variety of shoes intact.
Not just your favorite shoes, it works well on other materials such as wood, leather, plastic and rubber. Shoe goo is probably more flexible adhesive that i have used before. It can also be used on skateboards!
Quickly apply shoe glue on your damaged shoes to extend its usability. This my best glue for shoes because it works on everything I have used so far and I wouldn’t have to glue it again for a long while.
How to Apply Shoe Goo:
- Clean the affected area, remove old dry glue if there is any and make sure its dirt free and dry.
- Gently apply a small amount of Shoe Glue in the affected area.
- To even the coating, gently smooth the glue with wet finger.
- For best results, wait at least 24 hours allowing the glue to dry before using it.
2. Sugru Moldable Glue
World’s first moldable glue! Sugru Moldable Glue was made soft like your are working on a dough which can be molded into any shape you want. Although you have to do the molding within 30mins. Its flexibility is great, after 24 hours, it becomes a silicon rubber. You can fix it on wires that needs to bend. It is also water proof and can withstand long exposure to the sun. Basically, it has a lot of uses, from fixing your shoes up to your DIY projects.
I tried it on one of my hiking shoes top seal some holes, it works well in any extreme conditions such as getting dirty and wet from the mud, water didn’t get through as the seal was really shut, after a long day of hike, it didn’t fell off which was very nice making it my list of best glue for shoes.
How to Apply Sugru Moldable Glue
- You have to get the right color for your shoes. Sugru offers different set of colors to match the color of your shoes or any of your broken stuff that needs fixing. You can also do some mixing different provided to match to your liking.
- Gently apply small amounts to the broken parts of your shoes, if your shoes has a large hole, its best to turn sugru into a fabric type filling the gaps. You get best results if you applied more.
- Once done, use your finger tips to smooth the application and provide a better finish.
- Wait 24 hours for best results.
3. Gear Aid Freesole™ Shoe and Boot Repair
Excellent for athletic shoes, hiking boots, skateboard shoes, climbing shoes and more. Bonds tear off soles and rands. Can be used worn out toes and high heels.
Gear Aid offers its best adhesive that can permanently fix your broken boots and shoes, not just repairs, it also helps provide resistance against scratches, abrasion, heat and cold.
However, I had to use tape or tie to press while the glue dries overnight. But the result was great and I was able to use my boots in a very long while, but still reach best glue for shoes section.
How to apply Gear Aid Freesole™ Shoe and Boot Repair:
- Use sandpaper to roughen the area, or use acetone or nail polish to clean the area.
- Mask the area with a tape that you need to coat including sole edge if needs extension, put your shoes on level during application maybe on newspapers or box.
- Apply freesole onto the center of the area, allow it to extend on its own then spread it with any small stick.
- Remove the mask after initial dry and wait 24 – 48 hours for best results depending climate.
If you need to accelerate dry time speed, place it into a high-humidity place.
4. Boot-Fix / Shoe-Fix Shoe Glue
Boot-Fix or Shoe-Gix Shoe Glue was definitely made for the shoe repair industry, unlike any other bonds, it does not expand and can go on thin, bonds in seconds and dries clear. One of many tools used by a lot of shoe repair shops today.
This product fixes not just boots, but dress shoes, hiking shoes, sneakers, sandals, and many more.
The only difference I noticed on this in any other shoe glue products is that this glue bonds instantly within 10 – 45 seconds. Which is proven to be true. I had asked a hiking partner of mine to try it on his broken hiking shoes, even though he is quite skeptical, he tried it anyway. The result was great and he told me he was able to hike more than 43 kilometers and the bond is still intact and was surprised to its durability.
This Boot-Fix and Shoe-Fix adhesives are in my list of best glue for shoes, This is quite handy for me as i can bring this anywhere, If suddenly my boots went off during hike, I can immediately fix it in seconds as long as I follow the steps.
How to Apply Boot/Shoe-Fix Glue:
- Prepare your boots/shoe by removing any dirt or moisture and make sure its dry
- Apply small amount of Shoe Glue to the area that needs to be bonded.
- Quickly position your boots to securely hold it within 1 minute, remove any excess using paper towel.
5. Barge All-Purpose Cement
Commonly used for repairing shoe soles and as a matter of fact, one of shoe glues traditionally used by many shoemakers. It bonds a lot of any type of shoes or soles. It can be also used to bond on any other materials such as rubber, wood, leather, glass, cork, metals, arts and crafts. Bonds the soles of leather shoes very well which last longer.
However, it has a strong smell and I would suggest to work on this on a well ventilated area. There is also a yellowish tint, be careful using it if you do not want that tint visible on your shoes. Available only in quart and gallon sizes.
I would higly recommend it on leather and shoes as well as working boots as its one of the best glue for shoes.
How to apply Barge All-Purpose Cement:
- Make sure the area that needs to be bonded needs to be cleaned and dried.
- Apply an even coat to both surfaces, brush is the best tool to do this. make sure all surface are covered with just a bare amount. Be carefull not to coat more than needed, it will not stick better. The less cement you use, the faster it dries and holds better.
- Wait 15-20 minutes or more for drying.
- Adhere both surfaces together and firmly press it.
- Wait within 12-24 hours before using it.
6. Gorilla Super Glue
Marketed as all around glue, one of the best glue for shoes, the Gorilla Super Glue can repair shoes very much effectively, It has a non-expanding formula, impact resistant and very good at fixing shoe laces. A polyurethane Gorilla Glue would fail here as it is inflexible when dry.
You can also use Gorilla Super Glue to bond leather, wood, leather, ceramic and certain types of plastic. It has an anti-clog cap which keeps glue from drying up. Dries as fast as Boot / Shoe Fix Glue with no clamping required.
How to Apply Gorilla Super Glue:
- Clean and dry the surfaces of your shoes.
- Apply a small amount of Gorilla Super Glue.
- Clamp or apply pressure on the two surfaces.
- Wait for 15-30 seconds for the glue to dry or wait overnight for best results.
7. Scotch Super Glue
Scotch super glue is an adhesive controlled technology that includes easy squeeze dispensing, self-puncturing tops, and clog resistant to stay fresh and avoids dryout so that it can be used longer for maximum usability.
It also has fast drying formula which makes it portable to bring outdoors, It is great on metal, glass and ceramics. Comes with a pointed tip to secure an accurate application.
Best glue for shoes, I used this on a broken shoe which works well but Im not sure if it can be used on wood as I find it not sticky enough and the glue is quite runny.
Show to use Scotch Super Glue on your shoes
- Clean and dry the surfaces of your shoes.
- Apply a small amount of Scotch Super Glue.
- Clamp or apply pressure on the two surfaces.
- Wait for 1 Minute for the glue to dry or wait overnight for best results.
8. Flex Glue
Flex Glue, best glue for shoes, is strong adhesive that is easy to use for both dry and wet surfaces or even underwater. It’s solvent free, does not run or drip during application, less odor and instantly bonds when applied. This adhesive remains flexible, strong, rubberized, VOC compliant, resistant to molds, mildew, UV and weather. All good for all types of repairs that needs adhesives.
Other than shoes, I used this glue a lot stuff in my house that needs bonding, It really works as advertised. Unfortunately, this adhesive is strong even getting out of the tube, you need to be careful squeezing it or it might lead to a sticky mess. Dries up after a while so make sure its sealed and stored on low temperature area.
How to use Flex Glue on your shoes:
- Clean and make sure the surface are dry.
- Apply an ample amount of Flex Glue on the surface.
- Apply pressure on both surface to press to make them attached further.
- Dries fast but I recommend to wait overnight for best result.